The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Trinity. He is a personal Being and is quite active in the life of the believer as well as in the act of salvation. In this post, we will share 10 things that Christians should know about the Person and work of the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is fully God. The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father (John 14:16). He is part of the Trinity (2 Corinthians 13:14). He is fully God (Acts 5:1-4). He speaks (John 16:3-8).
- The Holy Spirit works. God the Father works through the Son, who works by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was present in the work of creation (Psalm 104:30). He is involved in the work of regeneration (Titus 3:5). He restrains sin (Genesis 6:3).
- The Holy Spirit prepared Christ for the crucifixion, and through the Holy Spirit, Christ was raised from the dead. He prepared Christ for His work of atonement (Luke 1:35, 3:21-22; Hebrews 10:5-7; Matthew 4:1). He worked in the resurrection of Christ (Romans 8:11).
- The Holy Spirit convicts. He convicts of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8-11).
- The Holy Spirit inspired the Scriptures. He moved the authors to write (2 Timothy 3:16).
- The Holy Spirit gives us our new birth. We must be born of the Spirit (John 3:3-7). He gives us our spiritual resurrection (Ephesians 2:5). He makes us new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17). When we trust in Christ for salvation, we receive the Spirit as a seal that we now belong to God (Romans 8:29). It is the Holy Spirit who comes to indwell our hearts. Our body becomes a temple of the Holy Spirit who indwells us (John 14:16-17).
- The Holy Spirit empowers believers to live the Christian life. He empowers us (John 14:13). He teaches believers by illuminating God’s truth (John 14:26). He leads believers through the process of sanctification (Romans 8:1-17).
- The Holy Spirit aids believers in prayer. He intercedes for believers in prayer (Romans 8:26-28).
- The Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to believers. All spiritual gifts are given to believers by the Holy Spirit as He wills. (1 Peter 4:11).
- Believers must be filled with the Holy Spirit. The filling of the Holy Spirit is commanded for all believers. They must continually be filled with God’s love in such a way that they are controlled by the convictions they receive from the Lord (Ephesians 5:18).
In the next post in this series, we will be discussing the 10 things we need to know about spiritual gifts.